Monday 7 March 2016

Stair-rods

I had a chance to practice some more local vernacular (Reet' Parkey). On Friday, having taken a day off work, under a bright blue sky and in spite of forecast for showers, I went for a row.

Just after I'd started on the return trip and about 3 miles from home, the sky grew dark, the wind picked up and the heavens opened - "coming down in stair-rods". For those not familiar, wooden or metal rods were used to secure carpet to stairs year ago, probably dating back to Victorian times, but I can just about remember them from when I was very young.

Needless to say it's a good metaphor for heavy rain. In fact on the day, it was so cold there were hail stones, but I don't remember any slang for those.





By the time I got back to Swanwick Hard the rain had stopped, everything was very still and the sun was starting to come out again.

4 comments:

  1. If it was so cold there were road cones, you should have got on the old dog and bone and rung her indoors for a lift home - that lovely little boat of yours would be able to be lifted onto the roof rack with a bit of hard graft.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I have a pair of magic rain pants, which I understand are called rain trousers by those better acquainted with rain than I.

    They're somewhat cumbersome to put on - requiring removal of one's shoes - and unattractive as well, but their magical properties often warrant the inconvenience.

    Once in place and worn out in public, they prevent any rain that is threatening from actually falling and will do so until removed.

    I imagine they would be effective against stair-rods as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O Dock, of course "pants" means something entirely different here in old Blighty.

    Tourist alert - recommende that you don't use phrases like "putting on my stair rod pants" when it rains while in London

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS - If you would like a reply to your comment please leave your email address

Thanks