Saturday 14 February 2015

Wayfarer

Possibly the UK's most popular cruising dinghy, largely due to the exploits of  Frank Dye who famously sailed an early wooden wayfarer on open ocean voyages as far as Norway and Iceland.


Designed by Ian Proctor in 1957 the wayfarer was originally built in plywood and subsequently in fiberglass, with over 10,000 being built.

In addition to cruising and day sailing the Wayfarer is actively raced with a PH number 1101.


We owned a wooden Wayfarer number W176 some years ago, it was almost identical to Frank Dye's boat number W48 which is in the National Maritime Museum in Falmouth. Ours was a great boat, a bit heavy to launch and recover and could be a handful to sail single handed when the wind got up ( a couple of 25 litre water containers strapped under the center thwart improved things).

4 comments:

  1. Big old beasts... I learnt to sail in one back in '74 or 5'ish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting blog, I have enjoyed reading it. I came across a Frank Dye video on YouTube, its taken from an old 16mm film I would say, but it makes for interesting watching.
    I think the Wayfarer is a legendary small yacht (and I love small yachts) but I don't think I would have the bottle to do what Dye did all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alden - I've seen that film - it was Frank's summer holiday !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read Dyes books - He was very brave, I wonder if he knew the risks he was taking? I think I could do something in the North Sea without a keel, but at least I would want a little cabin, self draining cockpit and the ability to seal myself in so as to be watertight in the upright or capsized position!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS - If you would like a reply to your comment please leave your email address

Thanks