Friday 6 July 2012

Black Diamond up close

The day after the Round the Island race, I finally got the chance to see Black Diamond in the flesh alongside at the harbour master's pontoon at Warsash. Greg and crew hadn't surfaced when we rowed down for breakfast, but she was unmistakable even from a distance.


The YM Diamond class has a strong following in Australia and given Greg's creditable performance in the RtI race it's easy to see why.


For a 30 foot stripped down racing keel boat that looks like a comfortable and reasonably well protected cockpit.


Later on we caught up with Greg and crew Hugo as they were preparing to recover Black Diamond onto her trailer for the journey back to the east coast.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Max - thank you so much for your hospitality towards Greg and Hugo, incl hot showers and chip-shop recommendations! I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet you myself this time. But . . . I'm told we'll be back again for RTIR next year . . . so hope to see you then! I'm jolly well going to be on board myself next time. Losing track of them on GPS for hours in that frightful weather (with reports of men overboard and boats capsized coming in all the time) reduced me to a gibbering nervous ship-wreck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting piece on this yacht.
    In Australia the Diamond class as these are known here, as are still being sailed here in Melbourne. The boats sail with two crew on trapeze , mainsheet hand and skipper. most are fitted with self draining cockpits. I will put a link to some photos of these yachts here if you wish to look at them.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyonwater54/8553453627/in/photostream/

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS - If you would like a reply to your comment please leave your email address

Thanks